02 biker Morocco trip

Info over de Transalp, marathons, leuke routes in onze buurlanden, mogelijkheden om te biken in je vakantiebestemming,... je vindt het hier!
Minna
Mountainbiker
Rijdt met: Brussel, Full-suspension Specialized Sworks, Injured hardtail Gary Fisher Mt Tam
Contacteer:

02 biker Morocco trip

Bericht door Minna »

(Excuse my English, but my Flemish is still under construction) .. I am planning on signing up for the 02 biker magazine trip, this year to Morocco.

Can anyone tell me (in Flemish is ok, I read it fairly well) how well these trips are organized? As a gal, I would prefer to avoid riding on my own, especially when abroad. Is there a risk that I will end up riding on my own, or are each distance performed in a group and no one dropped?

Thanks,
Minna
JeF GT
Mountainbiker
Rijdt met: GT Zaskar

Bericht door JeF GT »

Some info here http://www.mountainbike.be/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2697 but it's in Dutch.

In short, it's the 10th time O²bikers organises an event like this. So they have lots of experience and it's very well organised. You'll never ride alone. There are 3 groups, each at a different level. And their policy is 'to leave in group and arrive in group'.

If you would like some more specific info, just ask. :)
Minna
Mountainbiker
Rijdt met: Brussel, Full-suspension Specialized Sworks, Injured hardtail Gary Fisher Mt Tam
Contacteer:

Bericht door Minna »

No, that's all the info I was missing! The reason why I felt it necessary to double-check is that I participated in an event last year and while the organizers assured me I would not end up riding on my own (I'm a fairly strong rider) I still ended up doing more than 300k on my own, including meeting wild boar .. and while very adventurous .. I'd like to avoid something like that again. :)

I think I will have a go at this trip. Love riding in hot, dry weather! :)

*Thanks*

/Minna
A d r i
Mountainbiker
Rijdt met: titanium x 6 , carbon x 1
Contacteer:

Bericht door A d r i »

Hoi Minna (yes it IS me :D )

Last time I saw you, you were riding alone in the dark woods of Flawinne, so why being worried about riding alone in the Morocco deserts :D

no, you are right, Morocco is not the best country to travel on your own in as a woman, I heard some stories from a lady friend of mine who barely avoided being stoned (nothing to do with drugs, but with real stones !) while passing on a mountain bike in a remote village. #-o

But as a rule, the O2 biker gigs are well organised. So it should be no problem, when in doubt contact Christophe Meurice at Xtof@bikers.be.

Adri
Minna
Mountainbiker
Contacteer:

Bericht door Minna »

LOL Yes, I *DO* seem to get into a habit of riding alone. I am a strong rider, but can't keep up with you trail-experts! :)

Stoned, huh? Well, that's ok, I was more fearing being kidnapped and being put in a harem for the rest of my life. Maybe I should dye my hair dark for this trip? ;)

I suppose it's too optimistic that YOU are going, so that we can finally meet up PROPERLY?

I will sign up, but if security can't be guaranteed .. I guess I will have to spend all those days on a hammam! Now, that is not too bad an alternative ....

/Minna
pat17
Mountainbiker
Rijdt met: Scott
Contacteer:

Bericht door pat17 »

Hi Minna Welcome to the forum !
I'm going to morocco too with 2 friends of mine .... and i got the same questions as you it is one big ? . We'll see....

I'm so curious about other Mountainbike.be members. Nobody else ?
Can't be no?

Wie gaat er hier nog mee ?
JeF GT
Mountainbiker

Bericht door JeF GT »

Ikke!
Gast

Bericht door Gast »

So what Jeffrey, a last minute descision? :wink: :P
JeF GT
Mountainbiker

Bericht door JeF GT »

No no Ivo, the trip was already planned a couple of months ago.

BTW, there's also an Dutch topic see http://www.mountainbike.be/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2697 ;)
Jokke
Mountainbiker
Rijdt met: Klein Attitude Race SS + Spark LTD 2011 & Spark SL 2016
Contacteer:

Marocco

Bericht door Jokke »

A couple of years ago, I did a MTB trip in Marocco with my wife (Marrakesch over the Atlas Mountains and back to Marrakesch). And I must honestly say that it wasn't such a good experience.
Althought the scenery is fantastic and the trails are really nice, we had a lot of trouble with young kids who we're trying to steal everything which wasn't decently tied onto your bike. Since we we're only two, we we're very vulnerable to these harrassements.

So I can give you only one advice : stay in group, especially if you're a woman. And from the moment you arrive somewhere put on long shorts and sleeves in order not to insult local traditions. (A woman on a bike is already a curiosity, let alone a women in a tight biking outfit)
Laatst gewijzigd door Jokke op wo 29 okt 2003 11:47, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Plaats reactie